Excerpts from ~ Ramadaan 1434 Programmes
وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا لُقْمَانَ الْحِكْمَةَ أَنِ اشْكُرْ لِلَّهِ ۚ وَمَن يَشْكُرْ فَإِنَّمَا يَشْكُرُ لِنَفْسِهِ ۖ وَمَن كَفَرَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَنِيٌّ حَمِيدٌ
And We had certainly given Luqman wisdom [and said], “Be grateful to Allah .” And whoever is grateful is grateful for [the benefit of] himself. And whoever denies [His favor] – then indeed, Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy.
وَإِذْ قَالَ لُقْمَانُ لِابْنِهِ وَهُوَ يَعِظُهُ يَا بُنَيَّ لَا تُشْرِكْ بِاللَّهِ ۖ إِنَّ الشِّرْكَ لَظُلْمٌ عَظِيمٌ
And [mention, O Muhammad], when Luqman said to his son while he was instructing him, “O my son, do not associate [anything] with Allah . Indeed, association [with him] is great injustice.”
Surah Luqman 31:12~13
The majority of the Mufasireen are unanimous that Luqmaan AS was a sage imbued with ‘hikmah’ or wisdom by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala. The statements of one imbued with ‘hikmah’ are precise, accurate and beneficial i.e: full of guidance, meaning and light. Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala states in the Quran that a person bestowed with ‘hikmah’ has been given ‘abundance’. The verses outline the wise advices Luqmaan AS imparts to his son in the most compassionate manner.
The Advices of Luqmaan AS to his Son :
• Not to associate partners with ALLAH Subhana wa Ta’ala. It is a great zulm to associate partners with ALLAH Subhanahu wa Ta’ala as none can match HIM.
• The importance of gratitude and obedience to ones parents in all matters except if they force one to commit shirk, but even then kindness and compassion toward them must remain.
• ALLAH IS aware of EVERYTHING, be it in the heavens or the earth and even if ones deed is the minute size of a mustard seed, Allah will bring it forth and one will be shown his deed.
• The importance of establishing salaah and consistency therein. Salaah done correctly, serves as a barrier to committing evil deeds.
• Enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil.
• Do not walk with pomp and arrogance upon the surface of the earth. Walk moderately!
• Do not raise the voice and speak. This is likened to a donkey braying which is the ugliest of sounds.