Lessons from Ahâdeeth Shareef by Moulana Naeem Motala | Commentary on 40 ahâdeeth | Arba’een | of Imaam Nawawi رحمة الله عليه with emphasis on perfecting one’s character
| LESSON TWENTY |
اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ نَحْمَدُهُ وَنَسْتَعِينُهُ وَنَسْتَغْفِرُهُ وَنُؤمِنُ بِهِ وَ نَتَوَ كَّلُ عَلَيهِ ، وَنَعُوْذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنْ شُرُوْرِ أَنْفُسِنَا وَمِنْ سَيِّئَاتِ أَعْمَالِنَا، مَنْ يَهْدِهِ اللَّهُ فَلاَ مُضِلَّ لَهُ وَمَنْ يُضْلِلْ فَلاَ هَادِيَ لَهُ ، وَنَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ ، وَنَشْهَدُ أَنَّ سَيِّدَناَ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ
Verily all praise is for Allah, we praise Him and seek His aid and ask for His forgiveness and we believe in Him and we place our trust upon Him, and we seek refuge with Allah from the evils of ourselves and our evil actions. Whomsoever Allah guides there is none who can misguide him, and whomsoever Allah misguides there is none who can guide him, and we bear witness that none has the right to be worshiped except Allah alone, having no partner, and we bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger
اَللَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَى سَيِّدِناَ مُحَمَّدٍ ، وَعَلَى آلِ سَيِّدِناَ مُحَمَّدٍ وَبَارِكْ وَسَلِّمْ
Allahumma Salli ‘ala Sayyidina Muhammad Wa’ala Aali Sayyidina Muhammadin Wa Baarik Wa Sallim | Oh Allah shower blessings and peace upon our Master Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam and upon the family of Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam
| HADITH 19 |
Be mindful of Allah and Allah will protect you
عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَبَّاسٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا قَالَ: “كُنْت خَلْفَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه و سلم يَوْمًا، فَقَالَ: يَا غُلَامِ! إنِّي أُعَلِّمُك كَلِمَاتٍ: احْفَظْ اللَّهَ يَحْفَظْك، احْفَظْ اللَّهَ تَجِدْهُ تُجَاهَك، إذَا سَأَلْت فَاسْأَلْ اللَّهَ، وَإِذَا اسْتَعَنْت فَاسْتَعِنْ بِاَللَّهِ، وَاعْلَمْ أَنَّ الْأُمَّةَ لَوْ اجْتَمَعَتْ عَلَى أَنْ يَنْفَعُوك بِشَيْءٍ لَمْ يَنْفَعُوك إلَّا بِشَيْءٍ قَدْ كَتَبَهُ اللَّهُ لَك، وَإِنْ اجْتَمَعُوا عَلَى أَنْ يَضُرُّوك بِشَيْءٍ لَمْ يَضُرُّوك إلَّا بِشَيْءٍ قَدْ كَتَبَهُ اللَّهُ عَلَيْك؛ رُفِعَتْ الْأَقْلَامُ، وَجَفَّتْ الصُّحُفُ”
رَوَاهُ التِّرْمِذِيُّ رقم:2516
وَقَالَ: حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ
وَفِي رِوَايَةِ غَيْرِ التِّرْمِذِيِّ: “احْفَظْ اللَّهَ تَجِدْهُ أمامك، تَعَرَّفْ إلَى اللَّهِ فِي الرَّخَاءِ يَعْرِفُك فِي الشِّدَّةِ، وَاعْلَمْ أَنَّ مَا أَخْطَأَك لَمْ يَكُنْ لِيُصِيبَك، وَمَا أَصَابَك لَمْ يَكُنْ لِيُخْطِئَك، وَاعْلَمْ أَنَّ النَّصْرَ مَعَ الصَّبْرِ، وَأَنْ الْفَرَجَ مَعَ الْكَرْبِ، وَأَنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا”.
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbaas Radiallahu Anhuma narrated that Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said : One day I was behind Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam [riding on the same mount] and he [Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam] said :
“O young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] : Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. If you (have need to) ask, ask of Allah; and if you seek help, seek help from Allah. Know that even if the Nation (or the whole community) were to gather together to benefit you with something, they would not benefit you with anything except that which Allah has already recorded for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with something, they would not be able to harm you with anything except that which Allah has already recorded against you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried.” [Tirmidhi]
In a version other than that of Tirmidhi it reads:
“..Be mindful of Allah, you will find Him before you. Get to know Allah in prosperity and He will know you in adversity. Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you; and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship.” [Tirmidhi]
. . .
| BRIEF EXPLANTION |
This Hadith comprises of wonderful pieces of advice, which are important aspects of Deen. So much so, that one scholar mentioned, “What a pity is it for the one who is ignorant of this Hadith and has poor understanding of it’s meaning …”. Basically we have been advised to be mindful of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala by observing and fulfilling His obligations and His rights and adhering to His commandments and avoiding all His prohibitions.
By doing so, one’s life, property, wealth, health, Dunya and Deen and Imaan will be protected by Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala. Secondly, we have been advised to ask and beg only of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala for all our needs and problems. Thirdly, that none can benefit or cause harm to us, except that amount which has been decreed by Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala, for or against us. And, fourthly, believing in divine will and decree (Taqdeer) that has been decided by Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala for us.
A brief discussion on the Hadith is as follows >
“Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you.”
Be mindful of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala, means being mindful of His limits, His rights, His commands and prohibitions. Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala mentions in the Qur’aan :
هَٰذَا مَا تُوعَدُونَ لِكُلِّ أَوَّابٍ حَفِيظٍ
(And it is said) : This is what you were promised. (It is) for every careful and penitent one … [Surah Qaf 50:32]
مَّنْ خَشِيَ الرَّحْمَٰنَ بِالْغَيْبِ وَجَاءَ بِقَلْبٍ مُّنِيبٍ
Who feared the All~Merciful (Allah) in the Ghaib (unseen) and come with a contrite heart [Surah Qaf 50:33]
The word حَفِيظ mentioned in the Ayah above, refers to that person who is mindful of the commands of Allah and of his wrongful actions, so that he may be penitent and repent (make Taubah) to Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala.
• And Allah mentions :
وَالَّذِينَ هُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِهِمْ يُحَافِظُونَ
And those who guard their Salaah (prayers) well. [Surah Al-Ma`aarij 70:34]
ie: One who is mindful to Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala with regards to his prayers (Salaah)
• And Allah mentions :
وَاحْفَظُوا أَيْمَانَكُمْ ۚ
And keep your oaths [Surah Al-Maa’idah 5:89]
ie: One who is mindful of his oath and promises to Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala
• And Allah mentions :
Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying, etc.). I will remember you, [Surah Al~Baqarah 2:152]
• One who has modesty before Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala safeguards his head and his body from Haraam. He is mindful of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala and he remembers Allah. And the result of this is, that Allah will protect you, regarding your worldly matters, your health, your senses, your sight, your faculty of hearing, your speech, the security and safety of your family and belongings.
• When one is mindful of before Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala during his youth, then Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala will protect him during his adulthood. Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala will grant him the continued use of his sight, power, strength and intellect.
• An Aalim, lived to be over 100 years old and still remained blessed with strength and intellect. When he was asked regarding this, he said, that he safeguarded his limbs from the disobedience of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala when he was young, and so Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala has preserved them (limbs) for us in our old age.
• Protection from Allah, also means that Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala will protect the descendants (children) and progeny of this person. Ibnu Munkadir Rahmatullahi Alayh used to say : “For the sake of a righteous man, Allah will definitely be mindful of his children, his children’s children and the dwellings that are around him…so that they continue in protection from Allah and being veiled from harm”.
• Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala will also protect him from dangerous animals. We understand this from the incident of the Sahaabi, Safinah Radiallahu Anhu, who was confronted by a group of lions when he lost his army. Safinah Radiallahu Anhu called out to the lion saying: “O Lion! I am the companion of Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam!”. When the lion heard this, it started to shake its head and came closer to him and made a gesture with its shoulders for Safinah Radiallahu Anhu to follow him. The lion led the way and Safinah Radiallahu Anhu was escorted by the lion out of the jungle. [Tabarani]
• Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala will safeguard this person and protect his Imaan, especially at the time of death, from the onslaughts of the Shayateen.
If you (have need to) ask, ask of Allah; and if you seek help, seek help from Allah
• Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala mentions in the Qur’aan :
إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ
You (Alone) we worship, and you (Alone) we ask for help. [Surah Faatihah 1:5]
• When Ebrahim Alayhis Salaam was cast into the blazing fire by the Mushrikeen [idol~worshippers], and he was offered assistance by the Angels, he placed his full reliance only upon Allah Ta’ala and responded :
حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ
“Allah (Alone) is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs (for us).” [Surah Al~Imraan 3:173]
ie: He sought the protection of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala and only begged of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala
• Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala becomes happy with the one who begs from Him. Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala becomes displeased with the one who does not ask from him.
None can benefit or cause harm to a person, except through the will and permission of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala or the decree of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala.
Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala mentions in the Qur’aan :
مَا أَصَابَ مِن مُّصِيبَةٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فِي أَنفُسِكُمْ إِلَّا فِي كِتَابٍ مِّن قَبْلِ أَن نَّبْرَأَهَا ۚ
No calamity befalls on the earth and neither yourselves but that it is inscribed in the Book of Decrees (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz), before We bring it into existence. [Surah Al-Hadid 57:22]
In all conditions, we ask only from Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala and we believe in Taqdeer of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala. The profits/benefits one will attain in this life is that which has been decreed for the person. And what is not meant for him, is also decreed by Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala.
We have also been exhorted to exercise patience (Sabr) and the recompense for patience is extremely great. This gives a lot of solace and comfort to a person who is going through difficulty and hardship. With every difficulty comes ease.
Hence this Hadith teaches us how we can live a peaceful happy life by being mindful of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala, by totally trusting and worshipping him and by understanding Taqdeer positively. Doing so, will engender a happy stress free life filled with hope and trust in Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala…
Eid Ul Adha 1438 ~ Talk
Zikr Majlis ~ Musjid e Noor 31~8~17