• LESSON ELEVEN •
Lessons from Ahâdeeth Shareef by Moulana Naeem Motala | Commentary on 40 Ahâdeeth | Arba’een | of Imaam Nawawi رحمة الله عليه with emphasis on perfecting one’s character
| LESSON ELEVEN |
اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ نَحْمَدُهُ وَنَسْتَعِينُهُ وَنَسْتَغْفِرُهُ وَنُؤمِنُ بِهِ وَ نَتَوَ كَّلُ عَلَيهِ ، وَنَعُوْذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنْ شُرُوْرِ أَنْفُسِنَا وَمِنْ سَيِّئَاتِ أَعْمَالِنَا، مَنْ يَهْدِهِ اللَّهُ فَلاَ مُضِلَّ لَهُ وَمَنْ يُضْلِلْ فَلاَ هَادِيَ لَهُ ، وَنَشْهَدُ أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ ، وَنَشْهَدُ أَنَّ سَيِّدَناَ مُحَمَّدًا عَبْدُهُ وَرَسُولُهُ
Verily all praise is for Allah, we praise Him and seek His aid and ask for His forgiveness and we believe in Him and we place our trust upon Him, and we seek refuge with Allah from the evils of ourselves and our evil actions. Whomsoever Allah guides there is none who can misguide him, and whomsoever Allah misguides there is none who can guide him, and we bear witness that none has the right to be worshiped except Allah alone, having no partner, and we bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger
اَللَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلَى سَيِّدِناَ مُحَمَّدٍ ، وَعَلَى آلِ سَيِّدِناَ مُحَمَّدٍ وَبَارِكْ وَسَلِّمْ
Allahumma Salli ‘ala Sayyidina Muhammad Wa’ala Aali Sayyidina Muhammadin Wa Baarik Wa Sallim | Oh Allah shower blessings and peace upon our Master Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam and upon the family of Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam
| HADITH 10 |
Acceptance of Good Deeds
عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه و سلم : إنَّ اللَّهَ طَيِّبٌ لَا يَقْبَلُ إلَّا طَيِّبًا، وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَمَرَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ بِمَا أَمَرَ بِهِ الْمُرْسَلِينَ
فَقَالَ تَعَالَى : يَا أَيُّهَا الرُّسُلُ كُلُوا مِنْ الطَّيِّبَاتِ وَاعْمَلُوا صَالِحًا،
وَقَالَ تَعَالَى: يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا كُلُوا مِنْ طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ” ثُمَّ ذَكَرَ الرَّجُلَ يُطِيلُ السَّفَرَ أَشْعَثَ أَغْبَرَ يَمُدُّ يَدَيْهِ إلَى السَّمَاءِ: يَا رَبِّ! يَا رَبِّ! وَمَطْعَمُهُ حَرَامٌ، وَمَشْرَبُهُ حَرَامٌ، وَمَلْبَسُهُ حَرَامٌ، وَغُذِّيَ بِالْحَرَامِ، فَأَنَّى يُسْتَجَابُ لَهُ؟
Hazrat Abu Hurayrah Radiallahu Anhu narrates that : Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said :
“Allah [the Almighty] is Good and accepts only that which is good. And verily Allah has commanded the believers to do that which He has commanded the Messengers.
So the Almighty has said: “O (you) Messengers! Eat of the Tayyibat [all kinds of Halaal (legal) foods], and perform righteous deeds.” [23:51] and the Almighty has said: “O you who believe! Eat of the lawful things that We have provided you.” [2:172]” .
Then he (ﷺ) mentioned [the case] of a man who, having journeyed far, is dishevelled and dusty, and who spreads out his hands to the sky saying “O Lord! O Lord!,” while his food is haram (unlawful), his drink is haram, his clothing is haram, and he has been nourished with haram, so how can [his supplication] be answered?
| BRIEF EXPLANTION |
In this Hadith we have been exhorted to consume pure and wholesome food. One of the most important things by which a Mu’min obtains pure actions and deeds, is pure food which is Halaal. Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala is wholly Pure and free from all defects and deficiencies. He is At~Tayyib [pure] and He only accepts that which is pure.
So, in this Hadith there is an indication that action is only acceptable and it is only pure, through eating Halaal wholesome food. Haraam food corrupts actions and prevents the acceptance of Du’a.
• Hazrat Sa’ad Bin Abi Waqqas Radiallahu Anhu asked Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam : “Ya Rasullullah [Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam], ask Allah to make me, one who’s Dua’s are answered [Mustajaabad-Da’wah]. Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said : Sa’ad, make your food pure [Halaal] and your supplications will be answered. By the one in whose hand is the life of Muhammed Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam, the slave will cast a Haraam [impure] morsel in his belly and because of it, Allah will not accept his action for 40 days. And any slave whose flesh was rose upon Interest and Usury, then the fire is most appropriate for it”. [Ibn Kathir]
• Someone asked Hazrat Sa’ad Bin Abi Waqqas Radiallahu Anhu : “How is it that all your Dua’s [supplications] amongst all the Sahaabah Radiallahu Anhum are answered?”. Hazrat Sa’ad Bin Abi Waqqas Radiallahu Anhu said : “When I raise a morsel to my mouth, I know where it came from and what it came out of”. [Hilyatul Awliyaa]
• Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said : Whoever buys a garment for 10 Dirhams and 1 Dirham [of it] is Haraam, then Allah will not accept his prayer for as long as he wears that garment. Hazrat Abdullah ibn Umar Radiallahu Anhu narrated this Hadith and then he put his fingers in his ears and said : “May they become deaf if I did not hear it from Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam”. [Musnad Ahmed]
• Abu Dawood in his Marāsīl mentioned : Rasullullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam said : Whoever gains wealth from a criminal act and gives it as a gift to relatives, or pays Sadaqah [charity] from it, or spends it in the path of Allah, then Allah will gather all that and cast it with him into the fire of Jahannum”.
• Hazrat ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab Radiallahu Anhum mentioned : “By one’s scrupulous avoidance of that which Allah forbids, Allah accepts supplications and glorifications”.
• Sufyaan Thauri Rahmatullah Alayh mentioned : One who uses Haraam wealth in noble works, is like one who endeavours to purify his clothes in urine”.